Friday, May 28, 2010

Seymour gets baptized at 88 years old

So I man I have known for years got baptized on last week into the family of God. I was so excited to hear about it that I ran upstairs to tell my wife weeping with joy....why?

I met him years ago while serving as an assistant at a church in CT. His friends would bring him to church and he would walk up for a blessing during communion, see he was Jewish but came each week to hear of Jesus and experience His love through His people. One Sunday he walked right up to me as I was handing out the bread, looked me in the eye and said "I want one of those". "I'm sorry" I told him, "but you can't Seymor, you need to be Christian" (I knew him well and he didn't believe in Jesus at the time)..."so God doesn't want me?" he replied. "Oh no, he wants you desperately" I told him.

So for the next year he would come to church looking for peace. He had lost his wife (the good woman) years ago and he didn't understand why and was in deep pain. She had suffered an long illness...they were good people, he had done good, he was an industry leader in the NY garment industry...and now he was alone, trying to fill a void and numb the confussion. He gave tirelessly to the poor and broken...and he would listen over and over.

One Sunday he walked up to me during the service and said "I don't believe what you believe but I want to... But I can see that you really believe it with all you have"...."is that enough?" For now, I told him...and he went back to his pew.

We would meet for lunch time and again and talk about the good woman and Jesus over burgers at Fridays' in the mall...and always the sadness would remain. He loved me (as he always said) and adored my wife and daughter...and I loved him as only a person who has walked through deep sadness personally can....

I left that parish yet kept in touch. And this morning I heard that last Sunday he got baptized. The priest had walked up to him during brunch after the first service and told him he had been thinking that he should be baptized...ok, he said. Great, let's get together and discuss it! No, let's do it today! Sure, next service! No, how why not now?

So upstairs they went, with a witness...and my friend Seymour walked away from a world of pain and hurt into the open loving healing arms of Jesus. And I weep and shake as I write this. I can still see his face across from mine over so many burgers...the why's, the pain, the why would a God like that want a man like me?

I cannot wait to see him as soon as I can, this new creation friend of mine. I am so grateful for his friends that brought him to church and told him of Jesus..and I am so grateful for God that He gave his best for this man...and that this man walked away from all he knew into a new faith and the arms of Christ....at 88 years old...praise God

4 comments:

lynnecsedy said...

Wait, Seymour got baptized and I wasn't there to see it!!!! Still that's so incredibly wonderful! Now I have tears in my eyes and I can't wait to see him and welcome him as a brother, not just a friend.

Fawnie said...

I'm wondering if God is doing something among elderly children of Israel. A friend shared that her mom, 89 and a lifetime devout Jew accepted Jesus as her Messiah last week.

karoline said...

Hi Bryan-my name is Carol and I am Chris Barrett's sister. I go to St. Pauls sometimes with my Jewish husband. I know who you are, but doubt you remember meeting me. I was really interested in Seymour's story-but very disappointed when I tried this past Sunday to discuss it with him. He said very little. My husband has no interest in Christianity, or believing in Jesus. as he does not want to give up the Jewish traditions. He takes communion, but more because "everyone else does." Anyway I am happy about Seymour and hope my husband will someday come around!!

Free Range Anglican said...

That is the most awesome news on the planet! How great is our God!