Thursday, July 30, 2009

Random Kindness and Senseless Acts of Beauty really ticked off Jesus


Forgive me for being bold, but I've really come to believe that Jesus doesn't really care for random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.
Randomness is very selective. We really don't do anything randomly, do we? We're spurred on to do a "random act of kindness" to people we want to help out, when our schedule allows for it, when we have enough for ourselves. Do you randomly help people who tick you off?
Senselessness has no purpose. Senseless acts of beauty are not very beautiful at all; they are self-seeking, self-serving and rather cruel. It says "I helped you for no reason" or "I cared for your hurts, well, just because!".
No, I think Jesus wouldn't be down with that purple sticker... He's down with living a transformational life of integrity, one that makes us more lovely and those around us more loved.
I just dropped off a truck-bed full of furniture to Marie and her daughter this morning. A case worker called me and said they could use some help. So I packed up a dresser, two end tables, a coffee table, a kitchen cart, two throw rugs and some kitchen stuff that some folks gave me. I keep this stuff in my garage on purpose to be kind to people who need help.
My wife and I also gave them a set of new dishes and flatware. It says a lot when folks who are struggling get something new. It says when we were shopping, we knew there were some folks who didn't have what we do. It says we spent our money on you and we were committed to finding and helping you. It says "you are worth something new and shiny".
It has a very intentional purpose and is not random at all. It makes my life intentional, and makes the person on the other end feel the same way.
So what did this do?
Marie told me that while she was waiting for me her daughter asked her why I was doing this. "Because sometimes nice people do nice things" she told her. I told them both that's not why I do this. I do this because Christ is always good and gives me everything all the time....and I was just passing some of it along to them. When I gave her the dishes and flatware she was deeply moved. I don't think many people with access to computers know many folks who have furnished their entire lives with second-hand everything. For the first time in nine months that woman and that girl real.
Could you really tell Maria and her daughter they just recipients of randomness and senselessness?
So, do yo get it? Jesus can't stand random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.
How can I say this? The cross was not random, nor was it senseless. And as He did, so do we.
blessings,
b

No comments: